Joker Director Phillips Clarifies Sequel Reports
Nov 22, 2019
On November 21, Joker director Todd Phillips sopke with Indiewire in an exclusive interview about reports that negotiations were underway for a sequel to the film, as reported in The Hollywood Reporter and other outlets (including POP List) earlier this week.
Stating that The Hollywood Reporter's writer "jumped the gun" with the article, Phillips said that no deals were in place for a sequel with him or star Joaquin Phoenix, although the article notes that "The film has grossed over $1 billion at the worldwide box office and is both the highest-grossing R-rated film in history (unadjusted for inflation) and the most profitable comic book film ever released. Joker sequel talks are happening as they would on any financially successful comic book film, but that’s it as of November 21.
"'Well, a movie doesn’t make a billion dollars and they don’t talk about a sequel,' Phillips said. 'Joaquin and I have publicly said we’ve been talking about a sequel since week two of shooting because it’s a fun thing to talk about. ...
"'Here’s the real truth about a sequel,' Phillips said. “While Joaquin and I have talked about it, and while touring the world with Warner Bros executives — going to Toronto, and Venice, and other places — of course, we’re sitting at dinner and they’re saying, ‘So, have you thought about…?’ But, talking about contracts, there’s not a contract for us to even write a sequel, we’ve never approached Joaquin to be in a sequel. Will that happen? Again, I just think the article was anticipatory at best.”